The Stag is the oldest pub still open in Hastings.
Standing in an elevated position on the eastward side of All Saints Street, Hastings Old Town, with whitewashed walls and oak beams, the pub dates from 1547. It has a wealth of oak beams, winding passages and stairways. The front is in Georgian style, added by the Victorians. There are inglenook fireplaces and a secret passage, filled in around forty years ago, that possibly, led to All Saints churchyard.
There are two bars. The front is the most commonly used and features the famous "mummified" cats. More correctly smoke dried cats, they were found in a chimney on the first floor during the 1940s. Until the 1980's they hung from the corner of the metal work above the bar. Due to their fragile state it was decided to rehouse them in their current abode in a custom made wooden case. There is no historical evidence, but it is popularly believed they belonged to Hannah Clarke, a witch, who is said to have occupied the Stag in the earlier part of its existence.
The back bar is multifunctional. It's a dining room, it's a snug bar, it's a music room and we hold the vast majority of our singing sesssions in there. There is a small serving area, a large original fireplace and the furniture has been in the pud for over sixty years. With the low lighting and the fire lit, during the winter months it is a warm and friendly room in which to while away an hour or two over a pint and lunch/dinner.