Shepherd Neame is Britain’s oldest Brewery based in Faversham, Kent. As an independent family business we own and operate over 300 pubs and produce a wide range of ales and lagers, including Spitfire Ale, Whitstable Bay and Bishops Finger.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen for the position of Technical Brewer within our Production Department.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Senior Brewer and Quality Manager.
They will be tasked with monitoring and managing the quality of our products to ensure that the output of the Brewery meets the high standards expected by customers, stakeholders, current legislation and industry standards. The successful candidate must have a passion for beer and brewing as they will be involved in flavour development, internal training and organoleptic analysis of product. There will be opportunity for the candidate to help drive the development of the current quality and microbiological practices, as well as get involved in NPD development of “nurture beer” styles.
- Day to day running of the Quality Laboratory including management of the staff
- To achieve the laboratory budget via usages and contract negotiation
- To maintain and improve quality including food safety HACCP and site hygiene standards.
- Quality and microbiological improvement champion
- Technical brewing, NPD development and Packaging support
- To develop and run the site organoleptic testing.
- To meet and report on customer and franchise requirements.
- Maintenance of site specifications
- Maintenance of Laboratory Management Systems, data held in them and appropriate reports
- To comply with Health and Safety legislation and ensure a safe working environment
- To meet legislative and audit standards.
- To communicate to staff and employees.
- To identify training needs and develop staff.
- Development and evaluation of new techniques within Quality and their application across the process
- Keep up to date with industry trends and innovations
- Reporting of Site Quality and trend analysis
- Laboratory Operations
- Maintaining and driving Quality and Microbiological Improvement Plans for Site
- Internal Audits and assistance with external audits
- Due Diligence testing and reporting
- Purchasing for the laboratory
- Interbrewery liaison for Quality and Laboratory matters
- Organoleptic testing and the site taste panel
- New Product Development
- Franchise and Customer Liaison and sample dispatch
- Driving Quality Culture across site
- Driving passion for beer with Marketing and Sales teams
- Deputising for Quality Manager
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Formal science qualifications, preferably Microbiological
- IBD diploma qualification or working towards
- 2 to 3 years’ experience within Brewing Industry
- Formal audit qualification
- Formal HACCP qualification
- Knowledge of relevant standards and legislation
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of customer requirements
- Working knowledge of Lims systems
- Opportunity to join the country’s oldest family brewer
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Contributory Pension scheme
- Share Incentive Plan
- Staff discount scheme in all Shepherd Neame Managed House pubs and hotels
Normal hours of work are Full time, 37.5 hours per week. 08:30 - 17:00, Monday to Friday.
However, in order to meet the needs of the business, it is recognised that additional hours of work will be necessary on occasions.
Closing date: 30th April 2021