Royal Naval Reserve, Whitstable

Royal Naval Reserve

The Royal Naval Reserve is a popular pub with both Whitstable residents and visitors, not just for its convenient position in the very centre of town, just minutes from the sea but also for its down-to-earth, friendly atmosphere.

The Reserve serves good, honest pub food in its 32-cover dining room with sandwiches also available at the bar. There is also an attractive beer garden.

A bit of history...
The Royal Naval Reserve was built in 1760 and appears to have been established as an alehouse a century later. Local historians claim that when the estate owner, John Giles, died in 1862, the pub and other premises had to be divided between 45 nephews and nieces. The pub’s name was changed from The Rose to the Royal Naval Reserve in 1876.