The Running Horse, Leatherhead

The Running Horse

The Running Horse, is one of the oldest buildings and public houses in Leatherhead, Surrey, being built on land owned by the church. It has a characteristic interior, with oak beams and a real fireplace. Situated next to Leatherhead bridge and the river Mole, it is very popular with walkers. Offering six real ales, it is no surprise to see that it is a Cask Marque pub, with homemade and locally sourced food served at lunch and dinner. It is currently one of CAMRAs pubs of the year for Surrey. Three roasts are available every Sunday.

A bit of history...

The Running Horse dates back to 1403. Known once as Rummyings House it served 'noppy ale' by the infamous Elynour Rummyng, who featured in a poem 'The Tunnying of Elynour Rummying' by John Skelton, Henry 8th poet laureate. Verses of which are displayed  on one the walls. Legend has it that Elizabeth 1st, once spent a night at The Running Horse as floods made it impossible to cross the river Mole. Rumour has it that in the 17th century smugglers made up most of the clientele.

For more information, see our Wikipedia page