The Walnut Tree Inn was built during the reign of Richard II (1377-1399) in the year of the crusades.
During the Napoleonic wars Aldington was the stronghold of the Aldington Gang, an infamous band of smugglers that roamed the marshes and shores of Kent plying their nefarious trade. The gang's prolific leaders, Cephas Quested and George Ransley, both natives of Aldington, made the Walnut Tree their headquarters and drop point for their illicit contraband. High up on the southern side of the inn is a small window through which the gang would shine a signal light to their confederates up to Aldington Knoll.
The Walnut Tree offers open fires in the winter and a beer garden in the summer. Children are welcome with and there is a garden play area with a bouncy castle at weekends. There is a menu to suit all, including meat and fish dishes cooked on sizzling grillstones.