A visit to Whitstable wouldn’t be complete without a stop at the Duke of Cumberland. The town centre landmark pub’s friendly welcome is complemented by its range of Shepherd Neame ales, fine wines, good food, a pleasant courtyard and comfortable accommodation.
There has been an inn on the site for more than 300 years. It had been known as Noah’s Ark until 1747 when landlord Robert Chandler renamed it Duke William in honour of the Duke of Cumberland who, a year earlier, had crushed the Scottish rebellion at Culloden. In 1748 it became The Duke of Cumberland and was used as the headquarters for the oyster and dredger men.
Fire swept through the building in 1866 and it was rebuilt in 1878 before being bought by Shepherd Neame.
Today, the Duke of Cumberland offers all the facilities and comforts of a modern and thriving pub - food, accommodation and fine ales.
Its popular function room is ideal for parties, weddings and business meetings and the pub’s live music events, which range from rock to blues.