Try these delicious creamy croquettes on a bed of wilted spinach with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce for a decadent breakfast or warming supper. Alternatively they make a great light lunch with a simple green salad and caper vinaigrette.
Preparation time: 20 min, Cooking time: 20 min. Serves: 4
- 2 large maris piper potaotes
- 110g fresh mixed white and brown crabmeat
- 1 tbsp flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚c.
2. Stir the crabmeat, parsley, lemon zest and cayenne into the mashed potato. Season with salt and pepper and mix again.
3. Shape the mixture into quenelles around 8cm long.
4. Sprinkle the flour onto a plate. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto another plate.
5. Roll each croquette in the flour, then dip them in the egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs until completely covered. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
6. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the croquettes on all all sides for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp and then transfer to a baking tray and finish in the oven for 10 to 12 until piping hot all the way through.