This is a lovely hearty soup with a spicy kick served with giant salt and pepper croutons. Perfect autumnal fayre.
Preparation time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 40 mins, Serves 10.
- 2kg Butternut Squash
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2cm root ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp veg bouillon paste
- 1.5l boiling water
- Double cream to finish
1. Peel and roughly chop the squash. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan. Add the cumin seeds, ginger and onion and fry for a couple of minutes to soften.
2. Add the chopped squash and fry until starting to brown. Add the orange zest and juice, the vegetable bouillon paste and the boiling water.
3. Bring to the boil and cook until the squash is tender. Blend with a hand blender, adding more water if it is a little thick. Add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with salt and pepper croutons: slice a half ciabatta lengthways and brush with olive oil. Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with sea salt flakes and coarse ground pepper. Bake in a medium oven until hard and crunchy.