Shepherd Neame, the Kent-based brewer and pub operator, today announces results for the 53 weeks ended 30 June 2012.
- Turnover up 9.6% to £133.0m (2011: £121.3m)
- Operating profit before exceptionals up 3.7% to £12.7m (2011: £12.3m)
- Profit before tax up 39.7% to £9.1m (2011: £6.5m)
- Basic earnings per £1 share up 58.7% to 54.6p (2011: 34.4p)
- Basic earnings per £1 share before exceptionals up 7.8% to 49.8p (2011: 46.2p)
- Final dividend per £1 share of 19.6p (2011: 19.0p). Total dividend per £1 share of 24.5p (2011: 23.8p)
- Record turnover, record beer sales and record EBITDA
- Total beer volume up 5.6% against UK market decline of 1.2%
- Own beer volume up 5.2%
- Excellent performances from Spitfire and Asahi Super Dry
- Strong performance across pub and hotel estate
- Like-for-like managed sales on a 52 week basis up 7.6%, with liquor up 6.2%, food up 10.9% and accommodation up 7.0%
- Tenanted estate returned to growth, with same outlet like-for-like EBITDAR on a 52 week basis up 0.3% and average EBITDAR per pub up 2.7%
- Acquisition of seven individually selected high quality pubs and hotels. Since the year end we have completed the acquisition of the Royal Wells Hotel, Tunbridge Wells, which adds a further 23 letting rooms to the estate and brings the total number to 499
- Promising start to the new financial year. In the 12 weeks to 22 September like-for-like managed house sales are up by 5.1%, beer volume is level with the prior year and for the nine weeks to 1 September tenanted same outlet like-for-like EBITDAR grew by 2.5%
Jonathan Neame, Chief Executive, commented:
"This has been another successful year for the company. Our beer, food and accommodation sales have all enjoyed strong growth for the second year in a row and the tenanted estate performance has been encouraging.
Our strategy to invest in our pubs and brands during the economic downturn has strengthened the company, improved its competitive position and enhanced our reputation with consumers. Recent pub acquisitions have been successful and this has enabled us to take another step forward this year with some further excellent purchases, which provides a good platform for the future."
For further information, please contact:
Jonathan Neame, Chief Executive
Shepherd Neame Limited Tel: 017 9553 2206
Deborah Walter / Clotilde Gros
Kreab Gavin Anderson Tel: 020 7074 1820
Regional and Trade Media Contact:
Edwards Harvey Associates Tel: 01622 604600
For full details click here to download the press release.
If you would like hard copies of our latest Annual Report, please contact the company secretary.
Click here to view our presentations to analysts...
Annual Report 2012
The Annual Report is available in two versions:
Full colour version
Black & White version